Wednesday, January 13, 2010

End Of Religion

I have another book review here as I just finished reading The End Of Religion by Bruxy Cavey. I have to admit I was a little weary when I first pick it up. As being something of a traditionalist I was afraid of it being a let's knock down everything a start over rants but as I read it it was more of a pro-Christ let's peel back the layers of Christianity to follow Him.
The theme of book is how religion gets in the way of following Jesus Christ and the message He had for the world. The author not only targets Christianity but other world religions in how they rely on ritual and works in order to get closer to God and how empty ritual can lead to us losing our first love and we can be open to hatred and hardheartedness.
Several themes are touched on such as Biblical fundamentalism,nationalism, the church's not so glorious history and even human relationships. That it always stuck to heart of the matter which is Jesus Christ and how He actually wanted to remove religion and to teach a better way. In the appendix it also talks about the word religion and how was originally connected to superstition was interesting to learn. For me it was kind of a case of finding the Gospel all over again. I recommend it as it is an easy read and if you are looking to find the true God of the Bible in the form Jesus Christ.

No comments: