Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My Greatest Enemy

I talked to my girlfriend over an hour ago and we read a chapter of Come Thirsty. The chapter was on Worry (We don't have to). It is frightening that it is a big part of our society. there is always the worry of a terrorist attack, global warming, natural disasters and the spread of disease. On a more personal level losing one's job, serious illness, violent crime, risk of an serious accident. There is no shortage of things to worry about.
However, as Max Lucado writes it is "unconscious blapsphemy" meaning it is contary to faith. It is also the sin that followers of Christ seldom talk about as it seems as natural as breathing. We read stories in the Bible of those who refuse to let worry get in the way but act in faith. We see Abarham living as a nomad before becoming " the father of many nations ", Moses leading the Hebrews to the Promised Land, Daniel becoming an overseer of the governors of Darius, Paul becoming the missionary of Christ to the Gentile world. These are people who acted rather than worried.
I'll be the first to admit that worry has it's grip on me and it has paralysed me for years and I could say in all honesty that it has probably cost me some opportunities over the years. Not to mention has affected my health to a degree. It was been my greatest foe. I just must remember this passage " So do not worry about tomorrow;it will have enough worries of its own. There is no need to add to the troubles each day brings."
(Matt 6:34 GNB)

No comments: