Saturday, August 26, 2006

My Spiritual Journey

As you can probably tell from my previous entries that I am a Christian of the "born-again" camp if you will. I have had a long and exciting journey walking with the Lord. I have always believed that man (by that I mean mankind) has a soul and the idea of an afterlife.
The Beginning
I was baptized in the Ukrainian Catholic church as an infant. By parents weren't overly religious but wanted to my sister and myself to have a concept of faith taught to us at an early age. We attended a Roman Catholic primary school where religion was one of the subjects taught and we had to attend mass every first Friday of the month. I found this rather boring and the studies just seem to go in circle as I just learned that Jesus was born,was crucified and rose again. I learned a little of what He taught and said. But I don't recall learning much about the Bible.
During this time however we seldom attended church on Sundays and didn't have much if any religious instruction at home. It mostly represented boredom in my life.
Teen Years
I went to a public High School and was not really into spiritual things. I was mostly into partying, hanging out with friends and occasionally getting into trouble. I still believed in a deity but saw Him as impersonal in the lives of humans.
When I got older I started seeking and asked for a Bible for Christmas. I tried reading it but I couldn't get into it. However,this is where I believe the seeds were planted in me.

Born-Again
When I reached adult I had questions about life and death. I started working at a warehouse after I finished high school. It was there that I meet a guy who I later became close friends with. who was a Christian. We started talking and he invited to see Billy Graham who came to Toronto. Dr .Graham was sick last night and Ralph Bell spoke that night. It was there I came forward and gave my life to Christ.
I started reading the Bible again and got into it. I finally understood who Christ was and what we stood for. Also,why He came to Earth and why He died for us. I also got to learn the origin of man and read the Old Testament for the first time in my life.

Pentecostalism and Bible College
I started attending a Pentecostal church near my home which I became a member of . It wasn't hyper-Pentecostal where there was faith healing or anything like that. But tongues were spoken and interpreted (the later is important to remember) but for the most part it was pretty conservative.
I also decided to possibly enter ministry and enrolled in a Bible College in Toronto. I would have to say it was great experience for the most part as I got to meet different people and learn about theology. I completed my studies and looked forward to taking what I learned into practice.

Fundamentalism
I never found a position and was kind of drifting. I soon left the Pentecostal church and started attending a new Fundamentalist Baptist church that set shop in town here. It was way more conservative than the last church and I found it way too legalistic. I got to the point where I was just going though the motions.
There concept of salvation seemed to be how much you are able to avoid the evils of the world and you were made to think that you were never good enough. I was often made to feel I was guilty of something and wasn't living right no matter what I did. I soon found myself in a rut going through a dry period.

Purpose Driven Life
I started dating my current girlfriend earlier this year and as a Valentine's day gift she gave me a book called Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. I was cynical at first but as we read it together I changed my view. The central theme of the book is that each of us is created by God for a purpose.
My faith was rejuvenated and began to live for Him again. I start seeing my faith in a more positive light. Yes I was a sinner but I was chosen by God for a purpose. I didn't have to earn His love but it was really given to me by grace. I don't have to follow the motion but can accomplish great things.
The Rest
I started attending a Christian and Missionary Alliance church that is pretty modern with casually dress, a worship band and a generally informal atmosphere. I also got to attend a young adults study group on a couple of occasions.
However,I have relocated to another part of the province very recently and I started attending a Baptist church in town here(not a Fundamentalist one though). I'm in a transitional mode right now but I feel with God by my side and with a renewed faith the best is yet to come.

No comments: