Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Word About Grace

I have started reading a book What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey. The topic is of course God's grace. But the book also talks about how little the church not only talks God's grace but shows it as well. Sure many preach on what Jesus did on the cross and why He did so. There is often the teachings of the do's and dont's of the Christian faith but there isn't nearly as much teaching on grace and the meaning thereof.

Yancey uses several stories in his book to illustrate the grace of God and what it means to the individual who receives it. It got me thinking how we as the church really take it for granted and it is so easy to fall into an us and them mindset as a believer. When really the only thing that seperates Christians from non-Christians is they accepted the free gift of salvation offered through Jesus Christ which is given to mankind by the grace of God.

I have to admit I feel convicted about this especially since I didn't do a thing to earn my salvation but it was a free gift. Also, that I haven't shared this gift too many others who need this salvation. It is easier for us to get into an activist role in the church on political issues such as abortion, child poverty, same-sex marriage, world hunger and in the process forget how whole reason for being the church in the first place. Which is to be a spiritual hospital for the spiritually sick.

It is a grace that offered to all people. From the atheist to the life-long church goer, from the Marxist to the archconservative, the wealthy businessman to the beggar on the street. It also knocks down racial,national and even religious barriers that exist. I can't even begin to understand why the creator would offer me and everyone this grace. I must remember never ti take it for granted and remember to look at others as God sees them.

No comments: