Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Study Tonight

I got to go to a cell group tonight connected to Summit Community Church. It was held at a couple's place in Aurora. The group consisted of myself and three couples. We shot the breeze for a while and then we got to the study. The topic was based on some questions asked on a survey taken at Summit. The two mention were who do we go to for advice in making life changing decisions and the fact many in the church find reading the Bible uninteresting. I mentioned for the first I go on a case by case basis as it depends on the situation.
Some of the others mentioned a life decision they had to make. All the people in the group had moved to the GTA within the last couple of years and they mentioned who they sought for advice. I felt a bit left out as I've lived at the same address for 28 years. Not to mention I'm currently considering a move to a different region in the provience.
Anyways, enough ranting. The topic got to how we are to listen for God's voice and to use his word as a guide. Many Christians seem to put little stock in his word and what surprises me is how little of the Bible many believers have read. I think that we often approach God with prayer and it often reads like a Dear Santa letter. We don't take the time to hear him and what He has for us. Ultimately, He knows whats best for us and has our best interests in mind. He wants us dependent on him and to study his word not only for guidance but to know him better. Basically, He is not a genie but the Heavenly Father who wants us to have a relationship with him.

No comments: